The Greatest Defeat


I think the only person who has truly failed is one who never has the courage to try anything. It’s understandable to hesitate before taking on a task if you feel unprepared or lack knowledge. However, avoiding any activity or new experiences out of fear of failure is a form of cowardice and constitutes the ultimate defeat one can face.
     It’s undeniable that we all cling to any degree of self-esteem and self-confidence we may possess. That’s why we avoid situations or ventures that could lead to failure, thereby jeopardizing the control we have over our lives. We shy away from starting a new romantic relationship; engaging in conversations with strangers; embarking on a journey to an unfamiliar and distant place; painting that picture before it slips away from our memory; or writing that song, poem, story, or novel that has been turning over in our heads for so long. We refrain from these pursuits because we believe the end result won’t be good enough. And if we do make an attempt, we often keep it hidden—ashamed—from the eyes of others, fearful they might reveal our lack of talent. How arrogant of us! We act as if we were Kafka, Bach, or Caravaggio. This attitude is an unforgivable mistake.
     Every one of us is destined to die, and we have nothing to lose. The purpose and value of life lie in using our skills to improve both our own lives and the lives of others. How? Through action, creation, generosity, and solidarity. In doing so, when we reach the end of our journey, we will find satisfaction in knowing we did not waste the chance we were given to experience this world.
     Why not be upfront with Louise, the girl who works at the bookstore? Why not let her know that the purpose of my hours spent in that place extends beyond just searching for and finding, like an explorer, the new book that will ignite my imagination and fill my weeks of boredom and fear with a positive drive? It's also an opportunity to discreetly watch her from behind the shelves, unsure of which wonder is greater: the book I am holding or the expression of worry on her face when there are no customers to help.
     The prospect of getting to know her up close filled me with an intense anxiety, knowing that I would inevitably show her my novel—the one I wrote a while back, which I've kept under strict secrecy, afraid it would be deemed mediocre. Yet, I also harboured a nearly morbid yearning for someone to read it and declare it a complete failure. This attitude may be a bit masochistic, but it’s also a means for me to liberate myself from that fear. I could just throw the manuscript in the trash, abandon any further attempts to revise it, and put the issue to rest.

*

She told me that out of the seventeen chapters in my novel, six are outstanding, but the others require rewriting. She also explained her reasons behind this assessment. Furthermore, she mentioned that I have potential if I dedicate myself to the craft of writing.
     An unforeseen result of my decision to approach Louise was that she introduced me to Marguerite Yourcenar. L’Oeuvre Au Noir has been an enthralling read, and Zenón is at risk of becoming one of my favourite literary characters.
     Everyone who comes into my life leaves an impression; some add to it, while others subtract. I'm glad I didn’t let fear dictate my choices. Though it has only been a few weeks since I met her, I already sense that my life has become richer. Fear can be incredibly frustrating.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
© Translated from the Spanish by William Almonte Jiménez, 2026.
© Spanish title: “Fracasar en el Intento”.
© William Almonte Jiménez, 2014.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------