TEMPORARY LIVES

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
T. S. Eliot
When the ashen mantle covering the land starts to melt, and the frozen streams begin to thaw, I finally come out of the sombre dominion of terra incognita where I resided for an eternity.  As soon as I leave it behind, I realize that, dark as it may be, it had been home for me long enough to make it at least familiar, and that this new world which I am stepping into is what is to be dreaded. I open my eyes, and when I first see you I am so dazzled by the radiance emanating from you, and so confused by your amorphous presence that I can’t make out what or who you are or where I am. The terror inside overpowers me and I start to cry. The more I cry the more I breathe you, and the more your fluid spectre permeates my essence. Totally disoriented I quickly withdraw in fear. Then you come closer to me, extending your hands, and smiling. I am still frightened, but I understand that it is hopeless to keep on resisting you, and fearing you.  I become certain  that I must stop crying, that I should trust you and welcome your  hand,  that I have to let myself be carried away by the infinite possibilities insinuated  by the softness of your touch, that it is necessary to follow the light attracting me from behind the transparency of your face.  Restraining my tears and fears, trembling and hesitating, I allow you to embrace me. I touch you, I smell you, I taste you, and I experience some sort of security. I dare to crawl out of the comfort, unawareness, and state of nothingness of my amniotic world, and take the first steps into the unknown. I firmly hold on to your hand and walk alongside you, reassured. As we walk together farther and farther, fear gives way to courage, doubts to certainty, shadows to brightness, and bleakness to foliage. The gloomy sky, the blizzard, the drifting snow, the freezing rain, and the ice storm are no more.                                        
     The first blades of grass turn green, and the new leaves sprout fresh and intense. The flowers: irises, camellias, daffodils, hyacinths, tulips, and pansies are blossoming everywhere. The birds: robins, bluebirds, sparrows, orioles, blackbirds, hummingbirds, swallows, and cardinals have returned, after a long absence, and are filling the air with countless playful notes. The bees and the butterflies are inseminating the stigmas and the micropyles, while the sunlight is catalyzing the creation of life. When everything that is alive is mating, you come on to me like a siren, tempting me, teasing me, luring me with your enchanting voice. I still have to learn to trust you completely, but the germ of life begetting new life is all around me, and the magnificent orgy that is unfolding before my eyes is contagious. You utter your cunning and smooth words, you make your strange promises; you take my hand and force me to caress your hair and your face, to feel the moisture of your inviting lips, to touch your seductive breasts and to feel the pulsating force inside them. My trembling fingers eagerly rush to search in the unfathomable abyss of your navel; they explore the enigma of your thighs, and the terrible magic of your sex. I can’t resist you anymore; all my defences collapse; I totally succumb to this wonderful and fatal attraction that will probably bring me crashing to your rocky shores. I frantically try to learn and memorize every line, every angle, and every recess of your body. I desire to be consumed by your breath of fire, your kiss of life, your kiss of death. Your spores have contaminated all my insides, and the infection is irreversible.                                                 
     By the time the cattails and the reeds are tall, the ponds are teeming with frogs, the damp haze hangs heavy, and the sweltering nights settle in (still inebriated by the hyper-stimulation of the senses that the rebirth of nature brings with it), I am fucking you like a wild animal. I am discovering, exploring, touching and tasting every inch of your body; I am completely under your spell, totally powerless and at your mercy. Wrapped around you, I vanish, I cease to be, time stops, and I dissolve. I yearn to be inside you; I ache to leave my fluids in you and all over you; I long to cling to you and die a thousand deaths.  
   When the goldenrods have invaded every idle field, and the first leaves turn to brown, wither, and crumble under my feet, my self-confidence is shattered. Weather gets colder, and so do you. You become detached and remote, elusive and ethereal, ephemeral and inapprehensible, stingy and vindictive. I become jealous and possessive. I have charted the entire geography of your body, and now my obsession with you takes a dangerous turn, now I want to know your mind.  But I secretly know that is impossible, that you will reveal to me only what you want, that I should give up trying to understand you, and above all, that I must stop wanting you.  I am assaulted by the suspicion that for some obscure reason you are using me, and letting me use you as a means to reach some destiny. I am afraid that you are the accomplice of some immutable force against which I have no will; a force that is slowly but relentlessly pushing me towards the fulfillment of my fate. I analyze, rationalize, and dissect every one of your moves and moods, every nuance of your words, trying to understand why you led me to the heights of total ecstasy, only to let me fall into the chasm of complete agony. But doubting, rationalizing, and analyzing take me nowhere, and I sink into despair. While the days become shorter, and the sky gloomier, I grudgingly come to the bitter and inevitable conclusion that (for reasons that I can’t explain) this bliss is supposed to be only transient; that my leaves will fall, and my soul will wither; that you never promised to love me forever; that I have to lose you, that you must leave me; that it is useless to demand explanations, that it is futile to search for answers. I now know  that I could venture into the wormhole, travel to the far side of the galaxy, back to the primeval egg, nanoseconds after the big bang, split the atom, and break the genetic code, find my dark matter and my antimatter, only to discover that no power in this world or any other can change this scheme of things, this state of being; that nothing can stop you from leaving me; that even if I try to cling to you,  forever fused in an eternal embrace, we will reach the critical mass and start the chain reaction; my particles will collide with your antiparticles and I will be totally annihilated. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, positrons to electrons, protons to antiprotons; you will vanish and I will be  vaporized, and turned into a dazzling flash of photons and gamma rays; back  to the maelstrom where I was begotten, where I will be held in perpetuity.  Fuck!                                                        


© William Almonte Jiménez, 2010